From: Gaz Wilson (dragon_at_dragons.org.uk)
Date: Wed 30 Mar 2005 - 10:10:23 BST

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Gaz Wilson wrote:

> I am however experiencing issues with my setup (Debian Sarge,
> VS 1.9.5, grsec 2.1.3, util-vserver-0.30.203) in that it doesn't seem
> to install quite right (errors), and it point blank refuses to start the
afterwards. Can anyone advise me as to what might be the issue,
> after reading this transcript:
>
> test01:~# vserver gaztesttoday build -m debootstrap -- -d sarge
> I: Retrieving debootstrap.invalid_dists_sarge_Release
> I: Validating debootstrap.invalid_dists_sarge_Release
> I: Retrieving debootstrap.invalid_dists_sarge_main_binary-i386_Packages
> I: Validating debootstrap.invalid_dists_sarge_main_binary-i386_Packages
> I: Checking adduser...
> I: Checking apt...
> I: Checking apt-utils...
> I: Checking aptitude...
> .
> .
> .
> I: Extracting libstdc++5...
> I: Installing core packages...
> Selecting previously deselected package base-files.
> (Reading database ... 0 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking base-files (from .../base-files_3.1.2_i386.deb) ...
> Selecting previously deselected package base-passwd.
> Unpacking base-passwd (from .../base-passwd_3.5.9_i386.deb) ...
> dpkg: base-passwd: dependency problems, but configuring anyway as you request:
> base-passwd depends on libc6 (>= 2.3.2.ds1-4); however:
> Package libc6 is not installed.
> Setting up base-passwd (3.5.9) ...
>
> dpkg: base-files: dependency problems, but configuring anyway as you request:
> base-files depends on awk; however:
> Package awk is not installed.
> Setting up base-files (3.1.2) ...
> chmod: changing permissions of `/var/mail': Permission denied
> dpkg: error processing base-files (--install):
> subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> base-files
> W: Failure trying to run: chroot
> /usr/local/etc/vservers/.defaults/vdirbase/gaztesttoday dpkg --force-depends
> --install /var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_3.1.2_i386.deb
> /var/cache/apt/archives/base-passwd_3.5.9_i386.deb
> umount: /usr/local/etc/vservers/.defaults/vdirbase/gaztesttoday/dev/pts: not
> found
> umount: /usr/local/etc/vservers/.defaults/vdirbase/gaztesttoday/dev/shm: not
> found
> umount: /usr/local/etc/vservers/.defaults/vdirbase/gaztesttoday/proc/bus/usb:
> not mounted

BTW: this is kernel 2.6.11.

Further investigation shows that the main problem seems to be that libc6
isn't installed in the vserver. If I manually chroot into the vserver,
I can see the package is available to install via dpkg, but when I try
to install manually, I get errors trying to change permissions on
/usr/lib/pt_chown

In fact looking back at the vserver install process, it also had problems
when changing permissions on /var/mail too.

Is this likely something to do with GRSec? I haven't done anything with GRSec
yet apart from enable a load of the options in the kernel. I haven't
read up on the rest of GRsec yet, as that's my next task after setting
up a couple of test vservers!

Anyone recognise what's going on here?

Many thanks

GW

--
   /           Gary Wilson, aka dragon/dragonlord/dragonv480            \
 .'(_.------.  e: dragon_at_northernscum.org.uk MSN: dragonv480   .------._)`.