From: Hans Ulrich Niedermann (vserver_at_n-dimensional.de)
Date: Fri 11 Mar 2005 - 22:02:05 GMT

Gilles <gilles_at_harfang.homelinux.org> writes:

> I built a Debian "template" vserver with
>
> vserver template build -m debootstrap \
> --hostname template \
> --netdev dummy0 --interface 192.168.83.99/24 \
> --context 99 -- -d sarge
>
> The procedure completed fine too. But problems remains, some of which
> I had mentioned a few weeks ago.

> 1. Removing dispensable packages:
>
> pciutils fdutils ipchains makedev ppp pppconfig pppoe pppoeconf
> dhcp-client console-common console-data console-tools klogd sysklogd
>
> [Note: klogd still triggers that cpu-hogging behaviour, which makes it
> *indispensable* to remove...]

I think you'd want to keep sysklogd but just remove klogd - you'll
still want the software in the vserver guest to log their stuff to
/var/log/something via a syslogd running within the vserver guest,
right?

This is something my suggestion for a (virtual) vserver-guest Debian
package would have handled automatically, but the concensus was that
such a package wasn't needed.

Interesting to see that the problem doesn't go away by itself :-)

Gruß,

Uli