From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 07 Mar 2005 - 14:31:24 GMT

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 06:54:52AM -0700, Kevin Pendleton wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to this vserver thing, I'm taking up where someone else left
> off, so I'm sure this is a newbie question, but your help is greatly
> appreciated.
>
> I have a dual 1.1 GHz server with 1 GB of RAM running ~40 vservers.

well, congratulation, that's quite something with 1GB
(probably on a celeron server too ... )

> The server has started crashing lately on a pretty regular basis
> with a ton of VM: killing process httpd (different processes)
> --alloc_pages: 0- order allocation failed (gfp=0xld2/0) written
> to the console. I have to hard boot the server to bring it back up.

yep that means that the last piece of low memory was
used up by some kernel stuff ...

> The server is running software RAID on three SCSI disks and is running
> 2.4.27-vs1.29-rc2 on Red Hat 9. It didn't seem to happen before one of
> the SCSI drives died and was rebuilt.
>
> My question is this: which is the right solution here? add more memory
> or upgrade the kernel/vserver? Does this combination have a known
> memory leak or is it more likely that there is a memory leak with one of
> the apps running in a particular vserver?

how much swap is available there?
do you use strict no overcommit or is it running
in overcommit mode?

> I'm sure the answer is probably both, that I need more memory and I need
> to upgrade and include other features like cpu throttling - is there
> memory throttling?

there are memory limits and cpu throttling in
1.9.x (the 2.6 branch)