From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 03 Mar 2005 - 15:34:39 GMT

On Thu, Mar 03, 2005 at 10:29:07AM +0100, Brian Ipsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I tried just one more time to install a vserver in this environment...
>
> When RPM locks up, I start another ssh session to the host - and check's the
> top command:
>
> PID USER PRI NI SIZE RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM TIME CPU COMMAND
> 3074 root 17 0 9784 9784 3100 R 99,8 2,5 15:45 0 rpm
> 3120 root 10 0 1024 1024 828 R 0,1 0,2 0:00 0 top
>
> Hmm.. I wonder why the rpm command suddenly decides to take up so much CPU
> time ... :-/

try to attach with strace to that rpm command (once it is
running) or even via gdb, and see what it is doing ...

most likely it's some kind of rpm bug, which keeps it
spinning on the very same action over and over (maybe
looking for some file or device which isn't there ...)

some trace or debug log would help to narrow that down

TIA,
Herbert