From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 24 Feb 2005 - 19:12:56 GMT

On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 04:45:36PM +0100, Dennis Roos wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-02-24 at 14:00 +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 24, 2005 at 11:55:51AM +0100, Dennis Roos wrote:
> > > Heyaz,
> > >
> > > I am trying to migrate to the new configuration method of util-vserver
> > > (0.30.196) and have come across the following problem:
> > >
> > > * vlan support is either broken, or changed in a way I am unable to
> > > understand (very probable as this is my first go at the new
> > > configuration method); an example:
> > > I create /etc/vservers/${SVRNAME}/interfaces/0/dev containing
> > > 'eth1.4000'.
> > >
> > > When I start ${SVRNAME} using vserver ${SVRNAME} start; it gives me the
> > > following output:
> > > ERROR: trying to add VLAN #0 to IF -:eth1 4000:- error: Invalid
> > > argument
> > > Cannot find device "eth1.4000"
> > > SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
> > > Cannot find device "eth1.4000"
> > > SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
> >
> > which tools did you use? 0.30.196? or 0.30.204?
> mw118 1 # vserver --version
> vserver 0.30.196 -- manages the state of vservers
>
> Guess I'm running an old version for a change ;)
>
> > > On a side note (no pun intended); why moving from a single file
> > > configuration to a configuration tree ? In my opinion this will make
> > > things more complicated than needed:
> > > A config file with comments containing examples say a thousand words and
> > > give the user a head start with his first install. The configuration
> > > tree (without examples) will cause for a steep learning curve; it takes
> > > time to find your way around the tree.
> >
> > I guess it is simple a matter of preference, and it
> > was Enrico's preference to do it this way ... but
> > if you think about it, this config 'tree' can be easily
> > mapped to a property list, which could be stored in
> > a single file ...
> I was more thinking about a database (LDAP) to contain the tree.
>
> > actually I did wonder many times now why nobody did
> > create a tool to map one to the other (or even to
> > 'convert' an existing legacy config file to the new
> > config layout)
> I'm trying to do this right now ;) The problem with it is that the old
> style (config file) does not support all the new flags AFAICT.

well, yes as I said, you'll require a property list style
config to make it work with a one file config ... and
it probably would be incompatible to the old config layout
too (but in one file) ...

for an old-style to new-style migration the missing flags
and features (there a lot of them actually) would not matter
as they were not present in stable (1.2.x) either ...

HTH,
Herbert