From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 21 Feb 2005 - 17:36:10 GMT

Hi Community!

today the idea of a community fund for linux-vserver
development was raised on the irc channel ...

here are some excerpts ...

| We all need to come up with some sort of a community fund to
| support the vserver development team. Initially, we need to take
| care of Bertl and eventually include other developers including
| Doener and ensc (Enrico)

| Ok. I was thinking more of a fixed amount that all of you can
| set aside each month regardless of your sales. It has to be a
| monthly recurring amount.

| If you care about this product we need to support it and we
| need to support it right now ...

| ... it is really necessary if we are planning to be able to
| reject certain hostile takeovers of the main developers and such.

| You can pledge your contribution to Bertl directly in private
| or also publicly here in the channel. As long as Bertl and the
| other developers can make ends meet, this project will be alive
| and kicking.

now the interesting question to the broader audience of
the mailing list is: would this be something the community
would want to do?

without doubt, linux-vserver development could make good
use of such thing, especially when the developers are
able to focus on development and not the every day 'how
am I going to pay my bills?' question ...

let me know what you think!

(as suggested either in public or in private)

TIA,