From: Stephen Frost (sfrost_at_snowman.net)
Date: Sun 20 Feb 2005 - 09:11:57 GMT

* Micah Anderson (micah_at_riseup.net) wrote:
> Stephen Frost schrieb am Thursday, den 17. February 2005:
>
> > This is certainly something I'm all for, and were the Debian maintainer
> > of vserver going to upload a kernel-patch for 1.9.4 I'd be happy to help
> > him create that package such that it patches cleanly against Debian
> > kernel sources (again, not hard to do, really).
>
> What is to stop us (both debian developers), as well as other debian
> developers who are wanting this, from creating our own kernel-patch
> package that implements the patches for 1.9.4 and the updated tools?
> An example would be the difference between kernel-patch-2.4-grsecurity
> (for 2.4 kernels and old grsec) and kernel-patch-grsecurity2 (for 2.6
> kernels and new grsec). Obviously the maintainer of the -ctx patch and
> the util-vserver does not find the newer patch and utilities important
> or stable enough, but everyone else does.
>
> If the maintainer of the -ctx patch and of util-vserver wishes to
> continue to maintain those old packages and does not wish to maintain
> the package for the newer kernel patch and newer utilities, we should
> have no problem with that. We simply solve what is obviously our
> problem, rather than try to make it Ola Lundqvist and Ron Lee's problem.

In general I feel it's:

a) bad form to hijack packages from active maintainers
b) Have multiple source packages in the archive for the same programs
c) effectively go around the existing maintainer

It's not entirely the case that the existing maintainer is totally
uninterested in the 1.9.x vserver series or I'd be more concerned. He's
shown interest and seemed to be working with some others on a better
solution to the current situation (which might involve what you're
suggesting, but I'd really hope not..). I don't know that we've given
them quite enough time yet to claim that nothing's happening and that we
need to move forward independently - it's only been maybe a month or so
as I recall since serious discussion of 1.9.x was brought up to the
maintainer.

And, again, the current maintainer seems active, a little suprised he
hasn't commented on this thread...

        Stephen