From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 17 Feb 2005 - 19:58:45 GMT

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 02:33:59PM -0500, Paul S. Gumerman wrote:
> I'm at the point where I need some help.
>
> The machine is a dual Opteron, with Fedora Core 3 installed. I've
> downloaded a vanilla 2.6.11rc-3 kernel, and patched it with the latest
> vs1.94-rc4 patch set, which applied and built cleanly. Then I built the
> util-vserver packages from source, and installed them with rpm.
>
> Since I want to try things first with a FC3 x86_64 virtual server, I
> ended up using the "legacy" option to build vserver "vts64". I then
> edited rc.sysinit to remove most everything. I also created a "test"
> server with the "skeleton" build option, and used that info and info
> from Google to create the newer config files for "vts64". I'm fairly
> certain that all the config stuff is good.
>
> But ...... when I try to start the vserver, I get this error message:
>
> vcontext: execvp("/etc/rc.d/rc"): No such file or directory

did you check that this is no link of some sort which
points into the void, or a script which requires a shell
which is not installed in your vserver?

carefully check with 'chroot /path/to/vserver ls -la /etc/rc.d/rc'
and if you are confident that the script won't hurt your
host setup with 'chroot /path/to/vserver /etc/rc.d/rc'

> and the server fails to start. Of course, the file really IS there in
> the vdir, and in the proper place.
>
> I've searched high and low, and I cannot find anyone else having this
> particular issue. Any ideas?

sidenote: on x86_64 make sure that if your kernel is compiled
as 64bit, then the userspace tools (util-vserver) have to
be compiled 64bit too (for now)

> As an aside, I can't seem to get anywhere with building a vserver with
> yum --- it just complains about missing a .pkg directory. when I use
> the --pkgbase option, it seems to ignore it.

somebody reported yum working for that purpose, please
join this thread and comment here ...

TIA,
Herbert