From: Werner Schalk (werner_schalk_at_gmx.de)
Date: Thu 27 Jan 2005 - 20:35:16 GMT

Hi,

I tried to install vserver on Gentoo using the howto on the Gentoo website as
well as a document in the vserver wiki. When I now try to start my vserver I
get the following error messages:

# vserver -v gentoo-template start
/usr/sbin/vserver: line 66: test: -v: unary operator expected
/usr/sbin/vserver: line 543: ip: command not found
/usr/sbin/vserver: line 545: ip: command not found

[ ... ]

This seems to me that the -v switch is broken. The parameter --verbose seems
to be ok:

vserver --verbose gentoo-template start
/usr/sbin/vserver: line 543: ip: command not found
/usr/sbin/vserver: line 545: ip: command not found
ipv4root is now 10.0.5.1
ipv4root is now 10.0.5.1
New security context is 49157
 * Setting system clock to hardware clock [UTC]...
 * Failed to set system clock to hardware clock
[ !! ]

 * Setting DNS domainname to wschalk.org...
[ ok ]
 * ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
 * "bootmisc" was not started.
 * ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
 * "syslog-ng" was not started.
 * Bringing eth0 up (10.0.5.1)...
SIOCSIFADDR: Permission denied
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
SIOCSIFBRDADDR: Permission denied
SIOCSIFFLAGS: Permission denied
SIOCSIFNETMASK: Permission denied
[ !! ]

 * ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
 * "sshd" was not started.
 * ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
 * "vixie-cron" was not started.

Where can I find the configuration file vserver uses? I need to add
capabilities to this vserver in order to make it work (sorry I am a complete
newbie). I created my vserver as follows:

# vserver gentoo-template build -m skeleton --hostname gentoo-template --flags
lock,nproc --initstyle gentoo --interface gentoo=eth0:10.0.5.1/24

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Bye,
Werner.