From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 27 Jan 2005 - 17:54:15 GMT

On Thu, Jan 27, 2005 at 03:18:35PM +0100, Torsten Kurbad wrote:
> Hi!
>

> I'm running linux-2.4.28-vs1.2.10 on a Gentoo-System and recently
> upgraded to util-vserver-0.30.196.
>
> Since /dev/reboot is gone now in the vserver (Gentoo uses devfs), I

but you should never us it inside a vserver, as devfs gives
you access to _all_ devices present on your system, which
basically allows any vserver root user to do whatever he
likes with your harddisks (and more) ...

> can't use vreboot anymore. On the other hand, typing reboot inside a
> vserver reboots the whole machine, which is definitely not what I intend
> to do...

vshelper (and the alpha util-vserver tools) take care of
that now, reboot (or reboot -f) inside the vserver is
redirected to the helper which in turn cycles the vserver

if a vserver manages to reboot your host, then you have
some connection to the host init present (like /dev/initctl)
or an ancient kernel running (which doesn't know about the
helper)

> The thing is that I have users who should be only allowed to access the
> vserver via ssh, not the host system - thus it is impossible for them to
> use
> vserver foo restart
> on the host system.
>
> Any hints on how to reenable the functionality of vreboot?

use the vshelper reboot, and fix your insecure setup ...

$ ls /dev
full log= null ptmx pts/ random tty urandom zero