From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 18 Jan 2005 - 10:59:07 GMT

On Tue, Jan 18, 2005 at 11:20:15AM +0100, Werner Schalk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working for a small ISP and we would like to give our users
> shell access on the systems.

what kind of shell access? like a typical 'user' account?

> Therefore I thought of implementing a chroot environment but
> there is the problem that I need to copy everything into the
> chroot environment to make it work properly and that can be
> quite a mess.

well, you can --bind mount the stuff into the chroot, but
anyways, with linux-vserver you'll need a chroot env to
make it work too ...

> So my question is: Could I implement vserver like a chroot
> environment for every user without giving him or her root
> privileges?

sure you can, but the point in using linux-vserver would
be to safely _allow_ the users to have 'root' priviledges
inside a vserver ...

> Can I implement vserver only with one public IP for the host
> and every guest vserver environment?

yes, either by sharing the one public ip, or which is
better IMHO, assign local IP addresses to the vservers
and use SNAT or local masquerading to make them visible
to the outside ...

> Thanks a lot.

HTH,
Herbert