From: Nicolas Costes (nicolas.costes_at_iut-laroche.univ-nantes.fr)
Date: Fri 07 Jan 2005 - 15:56:59 GMT

Hello, all, and happy new year !

I recently discovered Linux-vservers, and I'm trying to build a vserver
host.

The kernel compilation and installation went well, and it works fine
(Mandrake, 2.6.9vs1.9.3). I'm encountering problems to build my first
vserver....

I definitely given up using the "Vservers" tools, and started using
"utils-vserver". I tried all the building options ("copy" fails, "legacy"
too - I installed the rpm -, apt-rpm...), but the only which seems to
work is "debootstrap". The correct way was hard to guess, the only doc I
found is a german pdf presentation... All the current doc on the main
linux-vserver site refer the the old Vserver tools, or are incomplete :(
Well, I'm currently writing down all my experiments in order to make a
Mandrake-Linux-vservers doc.

Well, I created a LVM/XFS partition, mounted it in /vservers/sample
("Sample" is the name of the test vserver I'm trying to create), and
called:

# vserver sample build -m debootstrap --interface.....

This fails because /vserver/sample already exists (It's mounted), and
using --force fails too because vserver-build cannot "mv" a mounted
directory...

The solution would be to have a single partition for all vservers, but I
want one for each. How can I do this ?

Second thing: This forces me to install a Debian vserver... Well, I was
planning to try Debian, but not this soon ;-) !!! I'd like to keep up
with mandrake vservers for the beginning. Is there a way to build one ?
Could I help the project by making a Mandrake profile like there is for
Fc1/2, Rh9, Debian, Suse ??? Is it hard for a beginner ?

Thanks for your help.

--
  ,,
 (°>   Nicolas Costes