From: Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy (grisha_at_ispol.com)
Date: Tue 28 Dec 2004 - 21:28:44 GMT

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 27, 2004 at 02:45:12PM -0500, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:
>>

>> Hi all, Merry XMas -
>>
>> Is there a simpler way to track IPC resources short of entering every
>> context and running ipcs? It seems that context 1 can only see its own
>> semaphores/locks/etc, wouldn't it make more sense if it saw all of them?
>
> I take this as a feature request ... will look into it soon.

Just to clarify this a bit:

I was originally looking at the /proc/sysvipc, which shows ipc stats for
the current context only. The ipcs command will show _all_ ipc resources
if run from context 0. So this is somewhat of a bug - the ipcs (or rather
the syscalls it uses) and /proc behave differently.

To turn this into a feature request, I think it would be very neat if the
/proc/sysvipc/ directory for a context XYZ appeared as
/proc/virtual/XYZ/sysvipcs/.

The rational behind this is monitoring/tracking tools that constantly
check these values, sometimes under bad server conditions - it's a lot
more efficient to read /proc than to parse ipcs output.

On the issue of consistency between /proc and ipcs - my inclanation is
that ipcs in ctx 0 should limit resources to context 0 just like /proc,
but should show everything in context 1. This would be consistent with ps,
and the utils could eventually have a vipcs command that works by
switching to ctx 1.

Thanks!

Grisha