From: Hans Ulrich Niedermann (vserver_at_n-dimensional.de)
Date: Tue 28 Dec 2004 - 11:43:45 GMT

Hi,

this is an excerpt from util-vserver-0.30.196/doc/cfg.txt:

/etc/vservers
|-- <vserver>
    `-- interfaces
        |-- [dev]
        |-- [prefix]
        |-- [mask]
        |-- [bcast]
        `-- <interface>*
            |-- ip
            |-- [dev]
            |-- [prefix]
            |-- [mask]
            |-- [bcast]
            |-- [name]
            |-- [scope]
            |-- [only_ip] ... use only the ip; do not modify/set
            | the interface
            `-- [disabled] ... ignore this interface

This looks pretty much IPv4-centristic to me. Is that correct?

If so, I think IPv6 support should be added in a way that IPv4 and
IPv6 are equally represented. Something like this:

/etc/vservers
|-- <vserver>
    `-- interfaces
        |-- [dev]
        |-- ipv4
        | |-- [prefix]
        | |-- [mask] 1.2.3.0/24 notation is better
        | `-- [bcast]
        |-- ipv6
        | |-- [prefix]
        | `-- [prefixlength]
        `-- <interface>*

Something similar should then be done under <interface>*.

Unfortunately I don't know enough details about vserver yet to judge
whether what I described above

  a) is feasible from a technical point of view

  b) is sensible from a simplicity and consistency point of view

  c) is feasible from a political point of view
     (concerns for installed base of vservers with different
     configuration)

Support for IPv6 in the vserver kernel patch will appear some time
soon, and there is no configuration for IPv6 yet, so the matter of
configuring IPv6 has to be raised one way or the other anyway :)

Gruß,

Uli