From: Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Tue 21 Dec 2004 - 03:27:21 GMT

Adrian Reyer wrote:
> I attach an strace of the failed call:
> # strace vsched --xid 49161 --fill-rate 2 --interval 100 --tokens 499 --tokens-min 1 --tokens-max 999 --prio-bias 0
[...]
> vserver(0xe010003, 0xc009, 0x7fbffffac0, 0x2, 0) = 0
> --- SIGSEGV (Segmentation fault) @ 0 (0) ---
> +++ killed by SIGSEGV +++

strace is no good for getting useful information about segfaults.

However, it is easy to find out which function caused the segfault and
this information can be invaluable for developers:

   - compile libraries and binaries with gcc -g (usually setting
     CCOPTS=-g during `make' phase is enough for this)
   - run program with gdb, and use "bt" to get a stack trace;

$ gdb /path/to/binary
(gdb) run --xid 49161 ...
SEGV
(gdb) bt

Posting the entire gdb session output is usually worthwhile.

In this case, it's pretty obvious where the fault is happening, but for
next time ;-).

--
Sam Vilain, sam /\T vilain |><>T net, PGP key ID: 0x05B52F13
(include my PGP key ID in personal replies to avoid spam filtering)