From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sat 11 Dec 2004 - 16:43:09 GMT

On Sat, Dec 11, 2004 at 12:59:02PM +0100, Oliver Welter wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> I want to start a discussion about an easy way to "unify" sone systems...

> I have one maschine that hosts about 10 instances of on application.
> They differ only in some config files an a "var" directory where the
> data is kept.
>
> my Idea is now to setup a base install of the application and mount
> this with "mount --bind" or put it onto an own partition and mount it
> multiple times read-only into the vserver contexts.

 * --bind mounts do not allow (without madditional kernel patches)
   to mount something ro when otherwise mounted rw
   (i.e. you need the Bind Mount Extensions)

 * mounts 'into' a vserver can not be changed that easily when
   using namespaces (which is the secure default in 1.9.x)

> This means I use two mounts inside each vServer, one for the base
> system and one for the config and data.
>
> The alternattiv seems to be using the classic approach with hardlinking
> the files but as I see the upgrade path (for upgrading the application)
> woud be easier with the mount approach - Im thinking of setting up a
> second "base" directory where the update is made and than simply have to
> change the mounts....

in your case it seems that a separate partition might be
the best choice ...

> Anybody here who hat some thoughts on this ? Any big issues I am
> oversseing ?

HTH,
Herbert