From: Gebhardt Thomas (gebhardt_at_hrz.Uni-Marburg.DE)
Date: Tue 07 Dec 2004 - 09:13:40 GMT

Hi,

thank you very much for your answer!

> the source selection for 'unspecified' packets is
> based on the routing tables, so if your routing tables
> 'suggest' to use that value, then outgoing packets
> will use it.

Does "unspecified" mean: icmp rather than ip? Do you intimate
that I can configure the routing tables of the master in such a way
that each vserver "ping" gets the source address of that vserver?

> nevertheless you can specify the source ip with the
> -I option to ping, so that it generates packets with
> that source address ...

Fine, that works! Actually we are not using the standard ping binary
but the nagios check_ping plugin; it should be possible to modify that
plugin accordingly.

> and btw, ping doesn't work from within a vserver unless
> you give CAP_NET_RAW which is a dangerous thing to do

Yes, we know, our sole hope is that we can trust our network
management system that is supposed to run within that vserver.

Thanks, Thomas