From: Justin Fielding (justin_at_okulyillari.com)
Date: Wed 24 Nov 2004 - 15:08:25 GMT

Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Nov 2004, vs-technik wrote:
>
>> GGT> Not with SMP, redundant power supplies and SCSI hardware RAID.
>> "Cheap
>> GGT> dedicated servers" are completely worthless IMHO, too bad most
>> people
>> GGT> don't understand it.
>>
>> oh no!
>> this is (only) a "faith-question".
>>
>> we use (for all hosting-solutions) _cheap_ servers without raid and
>> without scsi. but every! vserver will "rsynced" to a second server
>> and will work as a hotstandby-fail-over-system.
>

> Well if this is a question of two cheap servers vs one expensive one,
> then it probably amounts to about the same thing, since you're using
> vserver anyway. I was referring to those who have a cheap dedicated
> server all to themselves, i.e. to run a low volume website (or two).
>
> This isn't as much off-topic as it may seem, BTW. One of the things
> that I believe will lead to wider use of virtualization/separation
> technologies such as VServer is the consideration of energy
> consumption and rising energy costs. As servers get faster, they will
> consume more power (9W for a 90MHz Pentium vs 75W for a 2GHz), and at
> some point this will become significant enough where even a "cheap"
> box would not be justifiable on its own because of how much
> electricity its "low end 5GHz" processor consumes. So we're going to
> be back to mainframe line of thinking, where you don't associate
> physical boxen with their function ("mail server", "web server",
> etc.), but get one BIG box and segment it.

Don't forget though that with security becoming a rising concern and
problem, you open a bigger vunerability buy running on this model. If
the host system is compromised (from outside or via one of the virtual
machines), all of the virtual machines become compromised. If those 100
virtual machines were independant, if one is breached, the other 99 are
still secure.

Just my something which popped up in my head while re-reading this thread.