From: Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy (grisha_at_ispol.com)
Date: Tue 23 Nov 2004 - 14:55:20 GMT

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004, Andreea Gansac wrote:

> [root_at_v2 util-vserver]# vlimit -c 49168 --cpu 30
> vc_set_rlimit(): Success
>
> If I run a process that does only while(1){} inside the vserver, the
> cpu is used only 25%-30%.

If I'm not mistaken, this simply sets the cpu time to 30 seconds, so after
30 seconds of cpu time is used, processes in your context will be killed.

Take a look at this thread, it descibes what you want. (Read the whole
thread, because the first message from me has some ommissions):

http://list.linux-vserver.org/archive/vserver/msg08134.html

> Reading the error I get at vcopy I understand that vcopy creates vserver
> using unification. I don't want unification. I want every vserver to
> have it's own logical volume, thus I can limit the space for every
> vserver very easy.
>
> I think vbuild is what I want but it's not working. Is there another
> utility I don't know about? Or how can I make vbuild work?

You can limit the space much easier using the VServer disk limits. google
for vserver vdlimit. Basically you need xid tagging enabled in the kernel
(under VServer menu option in kernel config, off by default), need to
compile the vdlimit tool, then the partition on which vservers reside
needs to be mounted with the tagxid option, then you can set a limit like
this:

/usr/local/vdlimit-0.01/vdlimit -a -x 11111 \
         -S 0,100000,0,10000,5 /vservers

This means that for context 1111, 0 space is presently used, 100000 is
maximum allowed, 0 inodes presently used, 10000 inodes maximum allowed, 5%
of disk space is reserved for root. Note that these limits exist only
while the serer is up and therefore need to be saved on shutdown and
restored on startup. The list archives have example scripts of how people
do this.

Grisha