From: Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy (grisha_at_ispol.com)
Date: Tue 09 Nov 2004 - 17:56:32 GMT

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Bj?rn Steinbrink wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 12:01:33 -0500 (EST)
> "Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy" <grisha_at_ispol.com> wrote:
>
> I don't see any reason why it should behave like that, would only cause
> trouble. Example: xid 10 is limited to 500MB and has 300MB in use. xid 0
> deletes some 50MB file. Now there are files worth 250MB, but still the
> kernel assumes that 300MB are in use.

I think this is fine. There is no way for context 0 to up the counter for
another context (even chxid won't increment it), by the same token it
seems more consistent if there would be no way to decrement it either.

> Where's the sense behind that? You would have to adapt the usage
> statistics every now and then.

You'll just have to be mindful of this, and make sure to switch into a
context when deleting files if you want the counter to be updated. The
disk limits are "volatile" anyway (you have to set them upon bootup), so
it's not like it is something that is an "unnatended operation" in the
first place.

The upside of this is that there are no special mount options that make
things like backups difficult.

Grisha