From: Thomas Weber (l_vserver_at_mail2news.4t2.com)
Date: Mon 08 Nov 2004 - 15:35:27 GMT

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 01:55:22PM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 11:58:30AM +0200, Andreea Gansac wrote:
> > The services running in each vservers are httpd, mysql, postfix/qmail
> > , clamd, dovecot.
> >
> > Well just a few minutes ago the server freezed and I had do reset it.
> > Now everything seems to be normal.
>
> sounds strange but 2.4.26 had some memory issues (corner
> cases, but nevertheless) I'd suggest upgrading to 2.4.27
> (with vs1.29) and see if this happens again
>
> 1GB might be a little problematic, do you use highmem?
>
> best,
> Herbert
>
> > Has anyone encountered this problem with vservers?

just for the record:
I'm running 2.4.26 vs1.27 at 3 Machines (P4, 1GB RAM, 2GB swap, highmem).
All of them running at least one Domino Server within a vserver (the
dominos are clustered across the vservers on the different machines) plus
some additional small vservers.
Considering the resource consumption of domino i was amazed about the
stability of this setup, until we recently run out of memory. All swap
was used up and processes died (out of memory). Stopping all vservers
didn't free up as much RAM and swap as it should have (without the vservers
running almost 2GB swap were still in use).
Only way to get things going again was a reboot of the machine.
This was after ~200 days of uptime. All 3 boxes showed similar usage of
memory (only one ran completly out of mem though).

I'm pretty sure there is some kind of memory leak in this setup. Didn't
bother to report because I although thought of the 2.4.26 problems and
everyone would have probably told me to upgrade to 2.4.27 + latest vserver ;-)
But I intend to switch to 2.6 anyway. Gonna test it on one of the machines
these days.

If anyone is interested in digging deeper into this problem and needs
more information, just tell me.

  Tom