From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Wed 27 Oct 2004 - 20:39:19 BST

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 11:03:35AM -0400, Yves Trudeau wrote:
> Hi,
> I am new to the list but I have been experimenting a lot with
> Vserver during the last month. We have a IA64 server and we would like
> to use Vserver on it so I tried to compile a kernel with the Vserver
> patch. The results are disapointing, with kernel 2.6.8.1 + IA64 patch +
> Vserver patch I got the following compilation error:

hmm, always thought ia64 is included in mainline (i.e.
doesn't need heavy patching to work) but I thought that
too for hppa, and now I know better ;)

> UPD include/linux/compile.h
> CC init/version.o
> LD init/built-in.o
> LD .tmp_vmlinux1
> arch/ia64/kernel/built-in.o(.text+0x1fb12): In function
> `pfm_context_create':
> : undefined reference to `vx_vmpages_add'
> arch/ia64/mm/built-in.o(.text+0x25a2): In function `ia64_do_page_fault':

I consider this a minor issue, and hey, you are the
first person with an ia64 who wants to install linux
vserver ...

> The kernel 2.4.26 + IA64 patch + Vserver patch compiles well. I would
> really prefer using kernel 2.6.8.1 since we use this version on our IA32
> systems. Is there someone using Vserver with kernel 2.6.8.1 on a IA64?.
> If one needs access to a IA64 system in order to correct the Vserver
> patch, this can be easily setup.

first, let's try 2.6.9 and vs1.9.3-rc5 (much has
changed since the 1.9.2 release), then if the error
remains (which it probably will) try to catch me on
the irc channel (#vserver @ irc.oftc.net) and we'll
make it work ...