From: Björn Steinbrink (bjoern.steinbrink_at_isp4p.net)
Date: Wed 13 Oct 2004 - 14:32:10 BST

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:39:53 +1000
David MacKinnon <davidm_at_obsidian.com.au> wrote:

> Just ran into this today one some new servers I'm setting up.
>
> util-vserver 0.30.195 (but it happened with 190 as well)
> vserver 2.6 patch 1.9.2 on 2.6.8.1 (with dm/drbd and nfs patches)
>
> When I stop _any_ vserver, it brings down _both_ eth0 and eth1
> (leaving only lo up).
>
> This happens with vservers on the same subnet as the host, or on
> completely different networks.
>
> I haven't come across this before, I have another box with 2.6.8 +
> vs1.9.2 (no other patches) with util-vserver 0.30.190 that doesn't
> exhibit this behaviour. Copying the config from this working machine
> doesn't help at all.
>
> Anyone come across this before? I suppose I'll try stripping out other
> kernel patches, but I'm not wonderfully hopeful.

Did you build your kernel with CONFIG_SECURITY enabled? If so, make sure
that you also enabled CONFIG_SECURITY_CAPABILITIES and that the module
is loaded if it was built as a module. Otherwise the default capability
handling is disabled and your vserver is therefore allowed to
remove the interfaces.

HTH
Bjoern