From: Matt Ayres (matta_at_tektonic.net)
Date: Fri 08 Oct 2004 - 18:37:30 BST

The guy who was going to work on it disappeared. I was actually even
willing to fund the time it took to write it :)

As far as alternatives,
http://www.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu/project-unionfs.html. It was supposed to
be released when it was in Linux Journal... not sure what happened
there. The problem I had with it was re-linking identical files using
something such as unify-dirs. Obviously I haven't played with it, but
it doesn't seem like that would be possible.