From: Björn Steinbrink (B.Steinbrink_at_gmx.de)
Date: Thu 07 Oct 2004 - 17:25:48 BST

On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 02:00:27 -0700
Liam Helmer <linuxlists_at_thevenue.org> wrote:

> I thought I was going crazy... but, I've found I can trivially
> reproduce this bug. It's to do with chbind and the new 2.6.x kernels.
>
> The bug applies, for certain, to:
> VS 1.9.2/2.6.8.1
> with vserver-utils 0.30.190, 0.29.214, or 0.29
>
> It definitely does not occur in vserver 1.2.7 with utils 0.2.9.
>
> to reproduce this, run:
>
> in any vserver:
> sudo
>
> on the main server:
> chbind sudo
>
> Basically, what happens is that sudo aborts with no error message
> other than "Aborted". I've attached an strace if anyone's interested
> (and, presuming it's allowed on the mailing list). I'm more curious
> than anything else, as there's workarounds for this (such as ssh with
> keys, etc), but sudo can be convenient sometimes.

This happens only if you have a IPv6 address on an interface not visible
within the vserver, because of a bad assumption of some netlink code in
the glibc. This is fixed in recent versions of linux-vserver by hiding
the IPv6 stuff. If you don't want to upgrade you can simply remove the
IPv6 addresses from the interfaces not visible in the vserver (most of
the time this means lo).

Bjoern