From: Gilles (gilles_at_harfang.homelinux.org)
Date: Fri 24 Sep 2004 - 16:18:19 BST

> > E.g. I was wondering whether it is possible to simulate several subnets
> > inside a single host (i.e. without resorting to a second nic!).
>
> you do not need a separate nic to have a subnet on a
> linux host,

Several *different* subnets?
How? To make things clearer, suppose that there is one subnet, partly physical,
partly virtual (maybe this is not the right word), as follows:

H1 (border firewall) has 2 nics:
  - 192.168.1.0 <---> (via dynamic IP/pppd) Internet
  - 192.168.2.20 <---> H2
H2 (services) has 1 nic:
  - 192.168.2.10

On H2:
  - vserver (apache): 192.168.2.55

Can I create a second purely virtual net inside H2, say 192.168.3.0 ?
[Where I would put e.g. a "mysql" vserver, with address 192.168.3.55.]

> but all communication on the same host
> will happen via lo (see More Documentation on the
> linux-vserver wiki), so you have to keep that in mind.

Is it on
  http://www.linux-vserver.org/index.php?page=Documentation
Which document?

> > If I remember correctly, "vmware" does that (as was already
> > pointed out by someone else).
> > So the question is: How to do it with vserver?
>
> vmware and QEMU or Bochs use a separate kernel (similar
> to that what UML does) and communicate via tun/tap
> devices with the host, which adds some overhead but
> provides separated 'interfaces' on the host ...

Is it possible to have the same kind of communication between
vservers?

Thanks,
Gilles