From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 02 Sep 2004 - 23:12:03 BST

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 01:50:27PM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Sep 2004, Craig McLaughlin wrote:
>
> > I've noticed this with ... I think I may still be running .27, actually.
> > Everything acts just as you describe. What I came to realise was that
> > vserver-stat only shows the virtual servers if a service is running.
>
> Glad it wasn't me going crazy.
>
> > Try this:
> >
> > # vserver-stat
> > (see nothing but main)
> > # vserver foo enter
> > foo# /etc/rc.d/init.d/httpd start
> > (blah blah blah)
> > foo# exit
> > # vserver-stat
> > (should now list main and foo)
>
> Cool. Doesn't report idling vservers. Well maybe not cool as
> vserver-stat is called by my root VServer login so show me quickly what is
> happening. This may be on Enrico's bug list.

hmm, wrong diagnose ... actually the following is true:

a) 'vserver blabla start' creates a virtual context and
   either kicks init (the fakeinit variant) or manually
   starts the runlevel scripts (to get some services up)

b) when the last process in a context dies, the context
   is automatically removed and with it the 'notion' of
   a virtual server

c) the vserver-stat does only list contexts actually
   active

so what happens here is not that the vserver is 'idle'
because there is no service running inside, it actually
does only exist for a few seconds, and vanishes then ...

now the expected question, why does it respond to ping
then? it doesn't and probably vservers will never respond
to pings, but the interface address/alias is configured
and as usual the host will answer a ping ...

please have a look at the documentation, especially on
the entworking stuff, if you want to know more details

HTH,
Herbert