From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sat 21 Aug 2004 - 17:14:18 BST

On Sat, Aug 21, 2004 at 10:37:37AM +0200, Georges Toth wrote:
> hi,

hi Georges!

> i saw this on lwn.net:
> IBM developerWorks [0] shows how to use Kprobes to debug the Linux kernel.
> "The benefits of using Kprobes are many. printk's can be inserted without
> rebuilding and rebooting the kernel. Processor registers can be logged and
> even modified for debugging -- without disruption to the system. Similarly,
> Linux kernel data structures can also be logged and even modified
> non-disruptively as well. You can even debug race conditions on SMP systems
> with Kprobes -- and save yourself the trouble of all that rebuilding and
> rebooting. You'll find kernel debugging is faster and easier than ever."

yeah, thanks for notifying me ...

I've been monitoring the kprobes project for some
time now, and it really is interesting, especially
as the code required for each arch is very small

> maybe that could be _real_ useful for the vserver project ? :-)

yeah, it probably could, especially for hunting
down nasty stuff on a real system ...

do you have any specific kernel debugging case in
mind here?

thanks again,
Herbert