From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 17 Aug 2004 - 23:43:09 BST

On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 10:24:43PM +0200, Bjoern Steinbrink wrote:

> > > Hm? This looks like bugreport about IP being defined in too many places.
> > >
> > Doh! http://bugs.debian.org/225981
> >
> > > util-vserver definitely should not include/depend on quotatools, it could
> > > recommend or suggest them.
> >
> > Do you need to patch the normal quotatools or can you just use a
> > recent version (from which version if so?).

recent quota tools from Honza are fine, no
modifications are required, vfsv0 (the new quota
format) is required to make linux-vserver quota
useful (with the old format, you get GB sized
quota files ;)

> IIRC those tools handle the per context quota hashes and are stand-alone
> tools (though they're pretty useless without a vserver-enabled AND "Per
> context quote/Disk Limit"-enabled [1] kernel).

right, quota is modified by linux-vserver quota
patch to allow for more than one quota hash per
filesystem. this requires a way to add/remove those
hashes to/from the filesystem. this is done by the
linux-vserver quota tools cqhadd/cqhrem. disk limits
are another feature, addressed by the cqdlim tool

the 2.6 branch (vs1.9.x) doesn't support vserver
quota atm, just disk limits, and they are handled
by a new tool (vdlimit) which is compareable to
the cqh* tools. in near future per vserver quota
support will be added to vs1.9.x ...

> So i'd recommend to package the CQ/DL kernel patch depending on the
> linux-vserver kernel patch (as of now 2.4 branch only... possible?) and
> have that package recommend the cq-tools package.

I guess 'recommend' is something like 'depend on'
just not mandatory, well, if so, then this sounds
reasonable to me. anyway here are the dependancies:

 for 2.4/1.2x

 disk limits -> quota patch, cq-tools
 vserver quota -> quota patch, cq-tools, quotatools, vrsetup
 secure quota -> quotatools, vrsetup (separate partition)

 for 2.6/1.9x

 disk limits -> vdlimit

> But I'd like (and suggest) to hear Bertl's opinion on this topic.

HTH,
Herbert