From: Matt Ayres (matta_at_tektonic.net)
Date: Tue 03 Aug 2004 - 17:28:21 BST

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 12:21, Jörn Engel wrote:

> > btw, the process of identifying identical files and
> > combining them into an immutable but unlinkable hard
> > reference is (here) called unification, and is done
> > by some userspace tools ...
>
> Great! I would have written something like that as well, but if it
> already exists and the code is not unhealthy to look at... do you have
> a url or something such?

There is vunify which is part of util-vserver package. What is better for general usage is Sam's unify-dirs script. It is located at http://mirrors.paul.sladen.org/sam.vilain.net/vserver/unify-dirs.
Just use this without the -l or -i options and it will just do hard links, which is what you want for the current implementation of cow links.

Thanks,
Matt