From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Mon 19 Jul 2004 - 16:29:19 BST

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 04:55:54PM +0200, loic d'Anterroches wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Do I am wrong or I need to put nothing in the /etc/fstab of a vserver?
> For the moment I have:
> ---8<-------
> /dev/md0 / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0 1
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> ---8<-------
> And I get some troubles with the / mount point when shutting down the
> vserver. I put the /proc because at I was enable to run top from within
> the vserver at first.
>
> Can a vserver be happy with nothing in the fstab? Another thing, I have
> mdadm (software raid if I am not wrong), snmpd (is it only usefull for
> MRTG?) and ntpd running within the vserver. For ntpd and snmpd I am pretty
> sure I can remove them, but mdadm I am not sure.

inside a vserver (guest), there should be no direct
hardware access, and this, to some amount, includes
mounting filesystems like the rootfs ...

for sure, you do not want to run mdadm inside a
vserver, because if you provide enough device nodes
to make mdadm happy, somebody might use it to redesign
you vserver host from inside ...

so to make it short: vserver should not need
an /etc/fstab at all, but they will require an
/etc/mtab to display filesystem info and handle quota ..

HTH,
Herbert