From: Lucas Albers (admin_at_cs.montana.edu)
Date: Sat 05 Jun 2004 - 01:39:34 BST

Dariush Pietrzak said:
> Hmm, there is another issue here - if you already use app like HP Open
> View to do your other management, then putting it in control of vservers
> might be the wisest choice.
>
> --
What would be some useful cluster commands?
What are some common vserver operations?

Move vserver from one machine to another.
Determine if any vservers are stopped.
Stop,start,create vservers.

The most useful imo is the replication.
Steps:
rsync vserver from one machine to another.
copy over conf files.
stop the old vserver.
replicate the data.
start the new vserver.
Currently I do this by hand, if it was scripted I would have less chance
of screwing it up, and shorter downtime on the move.

I ran into proc problems when I replicated a vserver that was running to
another one, when I attempted to start the new one it gave stat proc
errors and hung on startup.
Assuming you exclude proc, then you can sync a running vserver from one
machine to another.

I had a disk fail this week and had to switch from one vserver to another.
Sure was a lot easier then methods I've used before to replicate.
Only had about 60 seconds of downtime.
If I had done a synchronized shutdown/rsync/restart I would have probable
shaved 30 seconds off the downtime.

--
Luke Computer Science System Administrator
Security Administrator,College of Engineering