From: Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Sun 30 May 2004 - 21:12:21 BST

Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> VSZ is the total sum of the virtual memory
>
> (address space) of each process
>RSS is the total sum of the resident set size
> (in RAM pages) of each process
>
>it's basically the same as in ps auxww
>only summed up for all processes belonging
>to a context ...

And as far as I can tell, sometimes memory is counted more than once;
ie, copy-on-write pages, like shared C library and binary images all
count multiple times towards the VSZ total.

Is this a bug, or is there no simple way to tally the *real* VM size of
a vserver?

--
Sam Vilain, sam /\T vilain |><>T net, PGP key ID: 0x05B52F13
(include my PGP key ID in personal replies to avoid spam filtering)