From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 25 May 2004 - 22:54:48 BST

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 05:03:12PM +0100, Lyn St George wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2004 23:13:08 +0000, ryanmh_at_comcast.net wrote:
>
> >Howdy:
> >
> >Matthew Nuzum wrote:
> >> I've downloaded FC2 and am interested if you've had to do anything tricky to
> >> get it running with CTX.
> >>
> >> Can you confirm: did you start with a stock kernel?
> >
> >I started with a stock 2.6.6 kernel and applied the vs1.9.1 patch. I didn't have to do
> anything too tricky; I used the Fedora provided config file in /boot and did a 'make oldconfig'
> to set the vserver-specifc flags. To be safe I edited the /etc/fstab and /etc/grub.conf files so
> as not to use labels -- that was an issue when using vanilla kernels with previous RH
> releases.
> >
> >> Is there any problem running older guest OSs? (RH7.3 for example)
> >
> >Haven't tried it, so I can't say.
> >
> >> Can you mention any benefits of using the new FC2 as a host OS?
> >
> >I just wanted a Red Hat system that could use a 2.6.x kernel without any fuss; using 2.6.x
> on RHEL3 or FC1 requires extra fiddling.
>
> I've just tried patch 1.91. on a 2.6.6 kernel and got heaps of
> "unresolved externals" in various drivers while doing

which of course didn't happen with the very same
.config and a vanilla 2.6.6 kernel, right?

please check again, probably your system uses
broken drivers or outdated module-init-tools ...
(the latter one is more likely)

> 'make module_install'. This is RH 9 which uses glibc 2.3.2, and has
> updated binutils 2.14, on a dual Xeon 2.4. The kernel then refused to boot.
>
> Yet it's OK on my local machine (Athlon 2800). This machine starts
> life with a RH6.2 CD and regularly gets rebuilt from that base
> for testing. Using the original glibc 2.1.x (IIRC) but everything
> else updated from tarballs it builds and runs kernel 2.6.6 vs1.9.1
> without any fuss.
>
> The failing one uses grub, the other lilo (as do my other remote
> machines). Can grub be disabled just by 'mv grub grub.OFF'
> and lilo be used instead on RH9? It's a remote machine so
> when it fails to boot then it means a phone call and a wait to
> get it sorted...

most grubs are also able to boot a specific config
only once, then fall back to a default (see docu)
and you can always install lilo on that machine ...

HTH,
Herbert