From: Bjoern Steinbrink (Der_Doener_at_t-online.de)
Date: Fri 07 May 2004 - 14:41:39 BST

On Fr, 2004-05-07 at 15:15, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Fri, May 07, 2004 at 12:50:17PM +0200, Bjoern Steinbrink wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Fr, 2004-05-07 at 06:40, Lucas Albers wrote:
> > > The command:
> > > "vserver service"
> > > on debian is non-functional, correct?
> > Yes, but that is nothing i'd worry about ;)
> >
> > > As debian has no equivalent service commmand, this is just a
carryover
> > > from redhat.
> > I just had a look at the service function and the corresponding
script
> > on redhat.
> > The vserver script just calls itself with 'exec /sbin/service'
instead
> > of 'service' so that option really just saves a few keystrokes,
that's
> > all, you could also just use the exec call directly.
> > The service script on redhat basically calls the init.d-script for
the
> > service you provide, there are some additional options, but nothing
i'd
> > consider important at a first glance.
>
> hmm, so there is no way in debian to select the
> services for each runlevel? I doubt it!
Sure there is, SysV-Init, so just put the symlinks into the rcX.d
folders and rc will do the rest (or just use update-rc.d), but from what
i've seen the service script just does this:
'/sbin/service sshd stop' is translated to '/etc/init.d/sshd stop'
Additionally you can list the status of all services and to a restart
even if the script in /etc/init.d does not directly support this.
I don't think that is a part of runlevel configuration, but just saves a
little typing, or did i miss something?

> > > This is as part of the vserver package.
> > And could as well be removed I'd say ;) IIRC it's not included in
the
> > alpha tools.
>
> hmm, are we aiming for the highest common factor, or
> for a superset able to support _all_ distributions?
After all the service thing really only saves you from typing 'exec
/sbin/service' (or even 'exec service') instead of 'service'. I don't
see a good reason for this.

Bjoern