From: Ola Lundqvist (opal_at_debian.org)
Date: Wed 05 May 2004 - 05:57:46 BST

Hello

I know that replying on this is very late. More than four months... but. :)

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 12:11:52PM -0500, Jacques Gelinas wrote:

> > > Can't find this code in my own newvserver script. I guess the debian package
> > > provides another utility called newvserver.sh. Right ?
> >
> > That is correct. The debian package has a debian-specific newvserver script.
> > (the original one is included in the package as newrpmvserver).
>
> This is not appropriate. While the original newvserver can create
> vserver from CDs, it is also useful to clone and reconfigure vservers
> as well.

What is not apropriate?

> If the script /usr/lib/vserver/distrib-info was completed for DEB, then all
> the tools would be able to perform unification and vserver cloning for
> debian.

The problem is that Debian do not use rpm, so the newvserver tools in the
package do not support Debian at all. It was a lot easier to write a new
tool based on debian debootstrap than to try to modify this. As far as I know,
this is no longer a problem since util-vserver (development branch) support
debian.

> Further, newvserver could be enhance to create debian install from scratch.
> For example, it could setup the configuration and call your newvserver.sh
> script to complete the installation.
>
> Right ?

No because debian is not rpm based.

Regards,

// Ola

/  opal_at_debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  opal_at_lysator.liu.se                 654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  +46 (0)54-10 14 30                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |