From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Thu 22 Apr 2004 - 00:14:47 BST

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:18:29AM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> This is kind of long and I'm not sure if it can be solved with a vserver
> tweak or it is a SAMBA issue.
>
> I work in a Windows dominated shop with Linux do much of the hands-off
> stuff until we got customers that _really_ wanted php. From this was born
> Web2 a vserver with a few domains so far. Now serveral of the customers
> want web statistics and the tech manager wants to use a Windows based
> program.

why not webalizer or one of those 100 other web
statistic tools available on the net (for free)

> Quick-ish trick was to mount the Windows share as
> /vservers/VSERVER/var/log/httpd (which I got sorted out after identifying
> my fat fingers as the problem.) Works fine with Apache's rotatelogs but
> for one little problem - Windows won't open the file as long as Apache has
> it open.

> The situation dictates we have "up-to-the-second" web site data so
> using the previous days' is not really acceptable.

that is not possible over samba, as the transport
and caches, and the apache log buffer, will take
longer than a second ;)

> So I figured I'd just reverse the SAMBA/Windows set up and share
> /vservers/VSERVER/var/log/httpd as \\Web2\VSERVER.
> Interesting problem is even as root I can't map it on the Windows server.

as root on the windows server?
or did I miss something?

> My guess is the permissions on /vservers and possibly how SAMBA is
> started/running is the problem.
>
> Is there a semi-secure solution to giving access from outside the
> vservers?

semi-secure solution and samba/windows? are you kidding?

I'd suggest creating a /samba mount point of some
'insecure' space/partition, export this to the
Windows box, and then --bind mount subdirs of that
mount into the vservers ...

this will result in a big security hole, but probably
does what you want ...

> Installing SAMBA in each vserver is looking like a royal pain
> because of dependencies.

and it would not work either ...

> The vservers are based on Redhat 8.0 but without
> SAMBA installed and 'Oh-forgive' me the main server is running
> 2.4.21ctx-17c - which I *will* be getting updated soon.

and you talk about security?