From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sat 03 Apr 2004 - 00:42:56 BST

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 11:08:06AM -0500, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

> I've got a vserver that keeps running out of inodes.
>
> from the vserver root dir, find . | wc -l shows 42287.
>
> but df -i from within vserver shows:
>
> df -i
> Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
> /dev/hdv1 200000 105933 94067 53% /
>
> 105933 - 42287 = 63646 missing inodes
>
> I'm not sure what happens inside the vserver because it belongs to a
> customer. I think they are running qmail which is inode-intensive.
>
> This vserver has never been rebooted since its creation, so the counts are
> only affected by the ctx disk limit hash thing.
>
> This is vs1.26 with corresponding ctx disk limit patches and utils,
> kernel 2.4.25.
>
> Is it possible for the disk limit system to somehow "leak" inodes, i.e.
> not reduce the count when they are freed?

no, but in that version, inodes 'belonging' to the
host (for example unified files) are not accounted
(on delete for example not removed) unless they
are written to or modified (at this point, they
are added to the total count), so if you did setup
the limits originally to contain 50000 inodes, and
all files where 'converted' then the counter would
show 100000 inodes in use ...

HTH,
Herbert