From: Lars Braeuer (lbraeuer_at_mpex.net)
Date: Mon 29 Mar 2004 - 00:08:06 BST

Herbert Poetzl wrote:

>>The same listing from inside the vserver ("vserver <name> exec ls -lagn /"):

>>drwxr-x--- 2 0 0 4096 Nov 19 02:08 service
>>drwxrwxrwt 3 0 0 8192 Mar 27 19:45 tmp
>>drwxr-xr-x 14 0 0 4096 Oct 16 11:36 usr
>>drwxr-xr-x 20 0 0 4096 Oct 15 01:38 var
>>
>>When updating to the new kernel the files with the long uid's are not
>>properly mapped anymore. We noticed this because mysql wouldn't start in
>>any of the 10 vservers on this system. After chown'ing the related
>>mysql.pid files and directories the mysql server started. But there are
>>tons of files with wrong uid's left, so this wouldn't be a solution, just a
>>temporary patch.
>

> as I see it, you have two options to migrate to 2.4.25/vs1.27
>
> a) change the context tagging of all files to xid=0
> - this can be done on the 'old' setup by using the
> old chctx tool, or by touching each file from the
> host context (xid = 0)
> - or with tagxid disabled, using a small script,
> reading the uid/gid, cropping them to 16 bits
> - or by doing an xid agnostic backup (tar, dump)
>
> b) converting the partition to the new context tagging
> - again a small script, reading the uid/gid, splitting
> it into xid/uid/gid and reassembling them to one of
> the newer formats ...

So I would get the xid by dividing uid and gid by 65536, right?

What would be the right formula for reassembling the id's for vs1.27 + quota?

In a posting I read about three different xid tagging methods: UID32/GID16, UID24/GID24 and UID32/GID32.

I couldn't find a hint when looking at the latest quota patch.