From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sat 27 Mar 2004 - 12:53:51 GMT

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 10:49:22AM +0100, Georges Toth wrote:

> > > I enabled the block device option using menuconfig.
> > > Do I need to
> > > 1.) Install any additional patches for these quota items,
> > > if I am using 1.26?
> >
> > if you want per vserver disk limits and quotas on a
> > shared partition (more than one vserver per partition)
> > then you need to add the quota patches ...
>
> isn't it possible that you plz include those patches in
> your releases ?

yes, it would be 'possible', and depending on the way I'd
include them, the implications would be:

 a) include them unconditional
    - if somebody doesn't want 'per context' stuff, just
      select context tagging none, and add a context hash
      for xid=0
    - normal quota won't work anymore, but who cares,
      those who want to use that feature do not need to
      add a simple patch anymore ...
    - enlarges the patch by ~120k

 b) include them #ifdefed
    - there is a 'master switch' turning on/off the
      quota hashes, context tagging
    - you have to 'choose' between normal and context
      quota as an kernel option (at build time)
    - would enlarge the patch by ~250k

> if you consider them too experimental (allthough i thought
> they were stable?) you could add a note next to the option
> (in kernel config) that that option is experimental...

this is not the reason, it's just that many people do not
use quota or context quota (I'd say 80% or more), and why
should they be forced to download and apply a patch, which
is about twice as large as necessary, with the following
extended risks

 - there might be a critical bug in the quota code
 - some kernel change might harm the 'old' quota code

> what do you think ?

so I'm not convinced that 'including' a perfectly separable
patch unconditionally into another separate one is such
a good idea, btw, the following command should help you here

# cat patch1.diff patch2.diff >patch-all.diff

HTH,
Herbert