From: Stadt Zirndorf, EDV (edv_at_zirndorf.de)
Date: Wed 24 Mar 2004 - 10:13:01 GMT

I use vserver in the meantime as "serious" project on two places in my
company. Let me tell you shortly. The scenario is always the same:

1. Have a mothersystem with nearly nothing installed.

2. Have small child-systems which are in production for a small work. This
is mysql3, mysql4, mail+spam+virusfiltering, dns+dhcpd, home with samba.

3. Backup of mothersystem is made with ghost to have a broken system running
again superfast.

4. Backup of all child-systems with tar via a usual back-program or rsync.

5. In case of overload or software-crash or hardware-crash install vserver
to different hardware.

6. EASY and FAST installation of testsystems without having a lot of
hardware.

After a LAAARGE RAID5-crash I found that it's very important not only to
backup files but to let the machines running again as fast as possible.
Because of this I have this strategy:

1. standard hardware (Intel processor, 3com NIC, ATA-harddisk or RAIDs as
ATA visible to machine, NO special drivers for RAID needed)

2. Backup of extreme large data-partition with rsync to external harddisk to
make backups more frequently.

__Thanks__ to Herbert and all the people helping him creating such a gooood
thing.
Greetings,

Richard

--
Stadt Zirndorf, EDV
Richard Lippmann

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----- Von: Herbert Poetzl [mailto:herbert_at_13thfloor.at] Gesendet: Mittwoch, 24. März 2004 10:59 An: Eugeny Zadevalov Cc: vserver_at_list.linux-vserver.org Betreff: Re: [Vserver] VSERVER + CPANEL

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 11:14:56AM +0200, Eugeny Zadevalov wrote: > Hello! > > Is anybody here using CPANEL inside VSERVER? > > I've installed latest CPANEL(9.1.0) on REDHAT 9 based > VSERVER 2.4.25 + quota + 1.26 vserver patches. > > Main idea is to provide shared hosting solutions > inside this vserver, and make more vservers for > other tasks, leaving "host" system clean of hosting, > and other. > > I'm googled, reading this list for about 1 month, > but nobody does not discuss serious projects liing > on vserver patches. Such impression that majority > uses these patches only as toy. :(

http://www.linux-vserver.org/index.php?page=VServer+Hosting

> Now, when i have 15 day free license from cpanel, > and my partners waiting when I shall say to be or not > cpanel inside VSERVER, or kill it and fireup > usual cpanel on "host" system configuration. > > So people, if you really use subj, tell me more... > thanx. > > ps > Is there possibility to work with iptables inside vserver?

it is possible, but not advised (for security reasons)

best, Herbert

> -- > Eugeny aka ZEV. _______________________________________________ Vserver mailing list Vserver_at_list.linux-vserver.org http://list.linux-vserver.org/mailman/listinfo/vserver _______________________________________________ Vserver mailing list Vserver_at_list.linux-vserver.org http://list.linux-vserver.org/mailman/listinfo/vserver

Generated on Wed 24 Mar 2004 - 10:14:06 GMT by hypermail 2.1.3