From: Enrico Scholz (enrico.scholz_at_informatik.tu-chemnitz.de)
Date: Thu 18 Mar 2004 - 15:46:03 GMT

hv_at_tbz-pariv.de (Thomas Guettler) writes:

> - Introduction at http://dns.solucorp.qc.ca/miscprj/s_context.hc
> has some old parts.
> - newvserver does not exist (I think you use "vserver foo build"
> now)

You need the -linuxconf subpackage; but it is deprecated.

> - Is there a tool which displays the context of all processes.
> vps, vtop don't. (At least I found no way to do this)

Do you mean something like

# vps ax | sed '1d;p' | awk '{print $2}' | sort -u

> - Would be nice to get a better error message if a context
> does not exist:
> chcontext --ctx 99999 bash
> Can't set the new security context
> : Invalid argument

Kernel does not tell more than EINVAL. Users are very inventively and it
would be very difficultly to say in your example e.g.

| chcontext: your keyboard seems to be broken since you hit '9' five
| times, do you want to:
| [a] buy a new keyboard at ebay.com
| [b] enter context 9
| [c] enter context 99

> - "vserver foo start" overwrites the file in /var/run/vserver.
> It would be good if this could check if the server is already
> running.

Fixed in alpha already; except when the needed change would be trivial,
it will not be fixed in stable.

> - "vserver exec bash"
> Host name is now varchiv
> > echo $HOST --> old name
> > hostname --> new name
> Would be nice if $HOST would get updated, too.

Looks like a non-production application; 'vserver exec' is for maintenance
tasks only; except the bad environment you will run into problems with
missing /dev/pts entries too.

> - utils: Would be nice to have a debug option which displays the
> commands which get executed. I chanaged it myself for debugging.

Already in alpha.

> I know my whislist is long. Maybe I have some time to send patches.

As indicated above, please look into the alpha branch; non-trivial
patches for stable will be probably rejected since this branch is
frozen.

For details about alpha please see
http://www.linux-vserver.org/index.php?page=alpha+util-vserver

Enrico