From: Gebhardt Thomas (gebhardt_at_hrz.uni-marburg.de)
Date: Wed 10 Mar 2004 - 10:20:08 GMT

On Tuesday 09 March 2004 19:41, Gregory (Grisha) Trubetskoy wrote:

Hi,

> I did some testing, and it works for me with the setup below but even
> without adding the explicit route for the network, i.e. the vservers with
> the interface with netmask of /32 stays up and responsive after I take the
> first ip in the scope (and the whole scope with it) down - am I missing
> something?

Either "vserver xxx start" sets up the rule for you (you may have a look
at "route -n"), or you get a "icmp redirect" from the router that points
the ip stack to the correct route.

The explicit route for the vserver public ip subnet ensures that ip packets
for hosts within the same ip subnet are sent directly, without interaction
of the router. Your vserver may be responsive even if these ip packets
are sent to the router and retransmitted, but this setup is not optimal.

Cheers, Thomas