From: Schlomo Schapiro (Schlomo.Schapiro_at_mikado.de)
Date: Thu 26 Feb 2004 - 10:21:45 GMT

Hi,

to give you some feedback, even though I am new to this topic:

I think that using the normal /sbin/init process in the vserver is very important and I did not understand why the current util-vserver scripts don't use this approach.

I very much would like to try out your work, but I have toi get vserver to work first (see my other mail about the missing chroot capability).

So, as soon as vserver works for me I will be happy to test your patch.

Schlomo

--
Schlomo Schapiro
Senior Consultant

Tel.: (030) 21790-0 Mobil: (0177) 3279060 Fax: (030) 21790-200/ -201

>>> nomad_at_null.net 2004-02-26 10:29:47 >>> On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Herbert Poetzl wrote:

> hrm, what do you need the patch for? > > reboot restart > reboot halt > reboot ... > > isn't useful in my opinion

Herbert, please re-read my email here:

http://list.linux-vserver.org/archive/vserver/msg06152.html

where I explained my rational for a change in the interface between kernel and userland for vserver events. The main points were extensibility beyond the reboot function, and to not unecessarily hide the details of the call.

I thought I made a reasonable case, but did not hear back from anyone. My fault for assuming silence equals agreement, but I would still appreciate knowing why you think I'm on the wrong track. I'm willing to take my medicine :-) [English expression for having to go though necessary pain]

> (you do not want to provide patches for each > vserver kernel patch, and folks do not want to > apply it ;)

The patch was for developers to take a look and/or play with. I certainly don't expect people with production systems to go through the effort. My apologies to all if that was how it was taken.

Cheers, Mark. -- Mark Lawrence