From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sat 21 Feb 2004 - 22:38:27 GMT

On Sat, Feb 21, 2004 at 08:18:00PM +0100, Thomas Gelf wrote:
> Compiling Kernel 2.6.3 with vs0.08 on Debian fails, the error is:
>
> > fs/builtin.o: In function `load_aout_binary`:
> > fs/builtin.o(.text+0x275dc): undefined reference to `vx_rsspages_sub`
> > make[1]...
>
> Any idea? This seems similar to http://list.linux-vserver.org/archive/vserver/msg06189.html
> but herbert's "switch ((long)filp->f_pos) {" is present in the vs0.08 patch.

probably something else, could you provide your .config file?

> And what do you think about using Kernel 2.6 with Vserver on Hosting
> Servers "in the wild"? I have running it since 2.6.0 on a customer's
> hosting server as he absolutely wanted to do so and I'm using it on
> some fileservers (lvm2, raid, sata, scsi, netatalk, samba3... - running
> on mandrake without any problems, serving files to os8, os9, osX, w2k...)
>
> Kernel 2.6 seems to be very stable - what about the Vserver patches?

guess they are at least as 'stable' as the 2.6 kernel ... ;)

> We would like to start our first two Vserver machines (P4 HT 2.6GHz,
> 2GB, 2x120GB SATA each) near the end of the next week and migrate some
> UML Servers to them. I have to come to a decision: Kernel 2.4.25_vs1.26
> or Kernel 2.6.3_vs0.08 - what is your opinion? Any experiences?
>
> Cheers,
> Thomas
>
> N.B.: Herbert, don't be angry with me, but your homepage IS a little bit
> confusing. I wasn't able to find out if the Quota Hashes (and per context
> disk limits) are included in the vs0.08 patch. The two links on

why should I be angry, sometimes it confuses me too ;)
(but at least access is allowed, and not forbidden ;)

> http://www.13thfloor.at/vserver/e_patches/overview/ suggests this as they
> point to the same destination, is this true? We have had no chance to find
> it out by ourselves as all the 2.6.x kernels we tried out didn't compile
> with vs0.0x on Debian - but in the kernel configuration we didn't find any
> hints on quota hashes like in kernel 2.4.x

the quota hashes and context quota/disk limits are not
ported to 2.6 yet, but I guess, if there is demand and
somebody interested in testing it, patches might be
a logical consequence ...

HTH,