From: Martin (maze_at_strahlungsfrei.de)
Date: Mon 16 Feb 2004 - 12:59:31 GMT

Hello people,

I have just set up a Gentoo machine with both VServer development
(kernel-2.4.25-rc1-vs1.3.7) and stable patches (kernel-2.4.24-vs1.26). I am
using the newest util-vserver tools (0.29).
Made my way through the installation of a Gentoo template VServer
(http://vserver.strahlungsfrei.de/tiki-index.php?page=VServerGentooNew).

Now I am stuck with fatal errors in both kernel versions. Using kernel 2.6
with the development patches:
,----[ ]
| vserver template-gentoo start
| Starting the virtual server template-gentoo
| Error: /proc must be mounted
| To mount /proc at boot you need an /etc/fstab line like:
| /proc /proc proc defaults
| In the meantime, mount /proc /proc -t proc
| Server template-gentoo is not running
`----

Shortly thereafter, during the init phase, it fails with
,----[ ]
| Error: /proc must be mounted
| To mount /proc at boot you need an /etc/fstab line like:
| /proc /proc proc defaults
| In the meantime, mount /proc /proc -t proc
`----

From the host system:
,----[ ]
| > mount
| none on /vservers/template-gentoo/proc type proc (rw)
`----

After entering the guest system, it is obvious that the proc filesystem
doesn't work:
,----[ ]
| > ps
| Error: /proc must be mounted
| To mount /proc at boot you need an /etc/fstab line like:
| /proc /proc proc defaults
| In the meantime, mount /proc /proc -t proc
`----

Those seem to be kernel messages. I didn't find those strings in any files
under /usr.. Or is this a problem with the Gentoo init scripts?! I don't
think so.

Different problems under kernel 2.4, with stable VServer patches 1.26. Not
even a simple chcontext works:
,----[ ]
| > chcontext /bin/bash
| New security context is 49153
| Can't exec /bin/bash (Permission denied)
`----

So what is this all about??

Greetz,
Martin