From: Sam Vilain (sam_at_vilain.net)
Date: Mon 09 Feb 2004 - 23:57:05 GMT

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 11:28, vserver-request_at_list.linux-vserver.org wrote;

> I'm using rsync (-vazPx --numeric-ids) to backup vservers and then
> trying to unify them using Sam Vilain's unify-dirs to save
> space.  Unify-dirs runs for a while, unifying quite a number of
> files, and then segfaults.

This problem came up before and turned out to be faulty RAM in the
server. unify-dirs seems to share a property with compiling the Linux
kernel in really thrashing a system and bringing out these problems.

The only thing I can suggest would be making sure that you have the
most recent versions of everything from CPAN, particularly the ReadDir
module. If you can reliably reproduce the problem, then run perl
inside gdb and use `bt' to show a back-trace once you get the
segfault. This will at least reveal the section of the program that
is generating the fault.

ie

$ gdb /usr/bin/debugperl
are
conditions.
There is absolutely no warranty for GDB. Type "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i386-linux".
(gdb) run unify-dirs -vil /vservers/vserver1 /vservers/vserver2
Program received SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault
(gdb) bt

If running it once fails, then doing some other server activity (in
particular working the dircache - eg `find /'), and running it again
fails in a different place, then it is more probably a fault in the
platform than the script...

--
Sam Vilain, sam /\T vilain |><>T net, PGP key ID: 0x05B52F13
(include my PGP key ID in personal replies to avoid spam filtering)

It is a rather pleasent experience to be alone in a bank at night. WILLIE SUTTON