From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Tue 03 Feb 2004 - 04:54:54 GMT

On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 06:11:42AM -0500, David wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm posting a bug report considering broadcast addresses and the config file for vservers.
> The problem exists if you want to assign a vserver a broadcast address other than the default. Normally, you would set it in the config file, but doing so does nothing.
>
> Here's /proc/self/status before setting the broadcast to 255.255.255.255 (IP is 192.168.1.100) :
> grep ipv4root /proc/self/status
>
> ipv4root: 6401a8c0/00ffffff
> ipv4root_bcast: ff01a8c0
> ipv4root_refcnt: 20
>
> ...and after setting IPROOTBCAST=255.255.255.255, and restarting the vserver:
> grep ipv4root /proc/self/status
> ipv4root: 6401a8c0/00ffffff
> ipv4root_bcast: ff01a8c0
> ipv4root_refcnt: 20
>
> it's the same.
>
> The problem this bug raises is, if you want to set your broadcast address, you'll have to do it with chbind. That works fine from the main server with the --bcast option (but it's really pointless running chbind on an existing vserver's IP), and it also works from within the vserver.
> This has a huge disadvantage though, because running chbind requires special privileges (CAP_NET_ADMIN), which normally you woulnd't want to give away.
>
> The bug was discovered by running the UDP server avp2linux (that's available at: http://www.avpnation.com/main.asp?page=download&file=265)

okay, thanks to all who tried to answer this one, but
the 'essential' information in this bug report was, that
the IPROOTBCAST= options seems to be broken with the
userspace tools (btw, which are those?)

if Dave uses chbind --ip <someip> --bcast 255.255.255.255
which seems to be required by the udp based game server
he is running (probably to announce the server) the server
does work as expected, and the ipv4root_bcast shows
 ffffffff, but specifying IPROOTBCAST=255.255.255.255
results in a vserver with ipv4root_bcast = ff01a8c0
(192.168.1.255) which isn't what he wants/requires ...

Enrico, could you verify which version of your tools
does/doesn't show this behaviour, and comment on, how
that could be worked around?

Dave, the solution we talked about on irc, isn't a good
idea anyway, and what that needs is a proper fix in
the userspace, I hope this will be clarified soon

HTH,
Herbert