From: Andreas Vogt (a_vogt_at_gaia.de)
Date: Sun 18 Jan 2004 - 00:00:00 GMT

Hello alltogether,

I used to run four virtual servers on a SuSE 8.1 system,
all vservers same dist.

The kernel was a vanilla 2.4.20 patched with freeswan and
patch-2.4.20ctx-17

userspace utilities were vserver-0.22-1

I used the fakeinit flag and I hadn't to change any scripts like
Roland Moriz (his mail from 25.Jun 2003 on vserver development list).

It just worked (after disabling some services like "network" in runlevel
3).

My configs didn't define S_CONTEXT, it was just commented out, so vserver
found it itself.

Now I udated my kernel for security reasons to 2.4.24.

Vserver patch is
2.4.24-vs1.24.diff ( I also tried vs1.22),

and vserver-0.29-2mdk

First I got message
'Can't set the new security context
 : invalid argument'
so I chenged configs and set a fix S_CONTEXT number for all my vservers.

Then
vserver v1 start
complained about
'Usage: init 01234.....'

I wonder, as the old vserver script seemed to do quite the same on
fakeinit (running /sbin/init).
Well, I changed that on line 500 to
STARTCMD="/sbin/init 3",
but now I get
init: No such process

I also can't get it running by
vserver v1 exec telinit 3
or
vserver v1 exec /etc/rc.d/rc 3

After starting my vserver, IP-Alias is set up, but nothing else.
Then I do
vserver v1 rcsshd start
or similar for all services. But that's not very nice and I fear a reboot
process :-(

I googled around and found some info, that fakeinit doesn't seem to work
with fixed security contex. But vserver-0.29 always complains about
invalid argument, if I comment out "S_CONTEXT".

I also tried to use util-vserver (0.27-1mdk), but I have to build my own
rpm.
After doing so, rpm doesn't install ist, comlaining about dependencies:
/usr/bin/shellmod is needed by util-vserver-0.27.1mdk

(I can't see a required section in sepc file nor any obviously definition
- and suse doesn't provide linuxconf and shellmod).
Well, I can install it using --nodeps, a really bad idea!
But even then,
vserver v1 start
complains about unknown parameter in ULIMIT ("-H -u 1000").

So neither util-vserver nor vserver seem to be properly tested!?

How can I achieve a proper init run of my SuSE-vservers using fakeinit?

Can anybody help me? What changed so much, that fakeinit now doesn't work?
(the vservers didn't change!!!!)

Bye and thanks in advance
Anders