From: Herbert Poetzl (herbert_at_13thfloor.at)
Date: Sat 10 Jan 2004 - 21:58:14 GMT

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 09:37:16PM +0000, Rus Foster wrote:
> Hi,
> We are looking at retrying vserver for our VPS business instead of User
> Mode Linux (or a combination). Last time we reviewed it there were a few
> issues that made vserver uncompetative and I wondered if they had been
> "fixed"
>
> For us we found
>
> 1) Couldn't ping inside a vserver and is CAP_NET_RAW was enabled other
> vserver could tcpdump the traffic
>
> 2) IP-Tables didn't work out of the box
>
> 3) /proc/mounts wasn't virtualised.
>
> Have these been fixed in the latest releases?

no, for several reasons:

1) ping is bad (because it actually requires CAP_NET_RAW),
   and there is tracepath, which works inside a vserver
   without requiring this capability ...

2) iptables need a virtualized network stack, which isn't
   done yet for linux-vserver, freevps support that IIRC

3) there are some options for /proc/mounts
   a) you can remove the entire /proc/mounts
      (most tools work with this setup)
   b) you can enable a 'fake' /proc/mounts
   c) wait for the next few releases, they will
      probably allow you to modify the visibility
      of /proc entries in general ...

HTH,
Herbert